Lead Android Developer
Hello, we’re Karmarama. We are the UKs most progressive creative agency, now part of Accenture Interactive. And we’ve just been named number 8 in the Sunday Times Best Companies to work for in 2019.
We create ideas and solutions across Brand communication, Digital and Direct communication, Digital Products and Platforms, Digital Innovation, Film & Print Production and PR & Social.
But that’s enough about us (for now…. there’s more on what it’s like to work here, further down), first, let us tell you about the Role:
This role will sit within the Digital Products and Platforms team. You’ll work alongside, and collaboratively with, other Developers across Android, iOS and Front End Web, QA, Product Managers, Delivery Managers, UX Designers, UI Designers, and QA (all based within our office in Farringdon).
You will have overall responsibility for all Android technology within the Product team; leading and growing a team of talented Android developers (30%) and architecting and leading Android development and ensuring all of our delivery is flawless whilst constantly pushing the boundaries of what’s possible (70%).
What does that mean for you?
- You’ll be empowered to lead, mentor and motivate a bunch of talented developers, taking responsibility for ensuring the team flourishes and develops.
- You’ll be architecting and hands-on leading the development of complex and innovative products, for a wide range of exciting well-known brands.
- You’ll be the leading voice for Android within Product: steering change, evolving delivery as technologies emerge and fade, allowing us to refine capabilities.
Join the team, and you’ll be:
- Leading, mentoring and motivating a talented team of developers.
- Leading hands-on development of well-architected applications.
- Collaborating with team members across all disciplines and practices.
- Keeping yourself and your team up to date with, and champion, all the latest technology and trends.
To join the team, ideally you will be:
- Practiced developing product focused Android applications.
- Experienced coding in Kotlin and Java 8-9 against Android 8.1 (API level 26-27).
- Knowledgeable about the application of Android supporting libraries and frameworks.
- Experienced with Android focused design patterns (MVP/MVVM).
- Practiced writing unit and UI testings, using JUnit, Mockito, Espresso.
- Fluent in material design and SOLID principles.
- Comfortable in a client facing role.
What happens next:
We’ll be in touch within a few working days of receiving your application if we wish to discuss the role with you further. At that point we’ll invite you in for your first interview, an in-person peer-to-peer Tech Test with one of our Senior Developers followed by a chat with our Head of Engineering. If that goes well, we’ll ask you back for a second (and final) interview to meet other members of the team from Delivery, Product and Development.
What’s it like to work at Karmarama:
We believe in ‘Good Works’. It is the ethos upon which the company was founded, and stays at the heart of everything we do. It’s a simple belief; if we do good, good will come to us.
We have always been a values and people led organisation. And would describe ourselves as a group of interesting, interested, smart, motivated and collaborative characters who care (about it all: each other, clients and of course the work). It’s by no accident that we choose our Employee of the Month and Team of the Month based on our 4 C’s: Care, Collaboration, Candour and Character.
But we don’t just talk the talk; As number 8 in the Sunday Times Best Companies to work for in 2019, we are extremely proud of our working culture here at Karmarama; its unique, and we’re famous for it.
We are proud to have created a working environment in which our people can thrive. Learning and Development, Wellbeing, and Inclusion & Diversity are all taken very seriously, but we’re still growing, still learning, and still need YOU to help us continue to do so.
Perks and Benefits:
On top of all the standard benefits you would expect (Private medical, Pension, Gym membership – Gym Box or Mob45, Season ticket loan, Cycle to Work scheme, Childcare vouchers, 25 days holiday and a bonus Birthday half day holiday, plus more) we offer some pretty unique and exciting initiatives:
- Being Family Friendly - we want to be inclusive of people who have families or side hustles, so we’re open to flexible working arrangements.
- Wellbeing Week – Run twice a year, our Wellbeing Weeks offer our people wellbeing initiatives from Ask a Physio, Introduction to Hypnotherapy and Introduction to Mindfulness talks to Flu Jabs, Art Classes and Financial Advice workshops.
- Calmarama – In house mindfulness coaching available to all.
- Pridearama – Our LBGTQ+ network who are helping challenge the status quo when it comes to Inclusion & Diversity in the advertising industry.
- KarmaKind – We have a team who organise and run charity events for our Charity of the Year (this year its North London Cares).
- Tea @ 4 – Every Tuesday and Thursday our Operations team lays on Tea @ 4. A nice cuppa, slice of cake and a mingle in our Canteen? What’s not to love!
- On site chef – Chef Jason cooks for us 4 days a week. The meals are subsidised to help you save a bit of cash too.
- Karma Sound Sessions – We host gigs for up and coming artists who come in to perform showcases for us. Stripped back and intimate, there’s a high chance these will become “I was there when…” moments.
- Academy K – Monthly talks to keep everyone informed and up-to-date with all that’s happening in the industry and beyond. Previously we’ve swatted up with the likes of Spotify and Google.